Monday 26 September 2011

John Masters Bourbon Vanilla and Tangerine Hair Texturizer Review

Image borrowed from lovelula.com


Rating: 4/5, available from Feel Unique for £21 (incl p&p); Naturisimo for £21 (incl p&p); & Lovelula for £21 (excl p&p).

I have a love hate relationship with this product; on the one hand I would most definitely buy it again, on the other I think it could be done better with the addition of one or two ingredients. But we'll get to that later.

Up until recently I didn't really use products in my hair, my friends would say that the occasional use of 3 products hardly counts, but it's something that I find quite hard to incorporate into my day-to-day 'beauty' regime.  I've also noticed that so many styling products look great to begin with and gradually weigh the hair down , so it's safe to say that I'm a little apprehensive about  hair products outside the shampoo/conditioner spectrum.

And then my hairdresser introduced me to hair clay; it tamed my hair, boosted volume and gave the whole look definition. From what I could tell it was easy to use, cost effective (a little went a long way) and the effects lasted  for approximately 3 hours. Not bad, I thought. All I'd have to do is run my fingers through my hair and pull it at for a few seconds and....voila! boosted hair.

My hair is naturally curly and I've had great results with the John masters Citrus and Neroli detangler, Em and L are also big fans of it's detangling skills. It was the awesomeness of the detangler that persuaded me to part with £21 for this small pot of (what I hoped would be) magic.

First off; this product smells DELICIOUS without being overpowering. I'm serious, if I could shmear this over a cracker I would have finished it by now. But it's for my hair, not my tummy. Although it's quite small (you only get 57g per jar) you really only need a little bit. So far I've used it by tapping my finger into the jar, rubbing it between my hands and running my fingers through my hair  (or scrunching it) to boost volume, and also to tame flyaways (albeit for a few hours).

You only need a very small amount for effect, it also leaves the hair incredibly soft and well conditioned without veering off into greasy territory. The most positive points are that; it doesn't leave your hair stiff, if you need to "reactivate" it then you just need to scrunch up your hair, and it doesn't weigh your hair down.

Now to the potential improvements, one of the most popular hair clays on the market is Sebastian Craft Clay (formally Crude Clay). This is the hair clay my hairdresser used, and it was fab (apart from the smell). But we wanted to see whether we could find something better, so we hit the drawing board and opted for John Masters hair texturiser. The thing is there is no powder in this product, Sebastian craft clay has kaolin clay and a variaton of bentonite clay in. Which got me thinking; what would the addition of kaolin clay give this product? I added 10g of kaolin clay which not only made the mixture thicker (if you do this you'll need to use a mini blender/food processor or brute strength to whisk it up into a smooth consistency.) but gives me longer lasting results. Pretty fab! If you'd like to buy some kaolin clay for yourself click here.

What are your favourite hair products? Let us know in the comments!
XX


Ingredients: Castor seed oil, Glycerin, Shea butter,* Sorbitol, Panthenol, Bourbon vanilla oil,* Orange flower oil,* Tangerine peel oil,* Grapefruit peel oil,* Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Ascorbic acid, Phytic acid.
* organic ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment