Monday 20 December 2010

Body Brushing - An Easy Way To Boost Detoxification

I'll admit it; I love body brushing. It is one of the best - and simplest - things you can do for your body. Not only does it help you feel energised, it also helps get rid of cellulite through detoxification.

I've told you about Em's diabetes, but I've not yet touched upon my own health issues. I have a myriad of food difficulties even though I've always had a healthy diet and a healthy lifestyle. A food reaction can range from something like bloating and distension to my face swelling up and a touch of muscle paralysis (which, according to my doctor, is technically an allergic reaction).

A few years ago I had a really difficult time, I was in an abusive relationship (we weren't together, but we lived together and to this day I can't find a word better than 'relationship' to describe that time), the authorities were no help at all, and the people around me at that time chose to ignore my situation and edge me out of their social group. And I'll be honest with you; when you're in that sort of situation the last thing that you need is people turning their backs on you or choosing to ignore you. I didn't have stockholm syndrome and I had no desire to stay in the house with that person, but for a brief time I had no choice.

Prior to that experience, I was on top of my food reactions and was in tune with what foods my body could and could not handle. Unfortunately all of the trauma from that period messed things up for me. Although I've dealt with a lot of it, I still get moments of anxiety and I'm trying my best to work through that but I understand that these things take time. And I'm grateful that I have such wonderful friends and family, and that I made it out of that experience.

How does bodybrushing fit into all of this, you ask? It was part of a routine that I had lost after the "situation".  It has taken me a while but I have finally re-incorporated it into my routine, and it has helped so much. I'm not the kind of person who worries about cellulite and weight. But if I were, body brushing would be my first port of call.

Body-brushing boosts circulation, buffs away dead skin cells (and as a result, helps keep in-grown hair at bay), encourages cell growth and stimulates the lymphatic system. Which is the body's detox-er. All you need to do is invest in a brush, those massage pads that look like a hedgehog and  manage to trick everyone, or a loofah.

Things to look out for when purchasing your body brush
  1. Try to find one that has a long handle, or has a strap over the back that you can slip over your hand. This will make the whole process easier, especially when trying to brush your back!
  2. Make sure that the bristles are not too sharp or too soft. You don't want something that will leave fine scratches but you do want something that will have an effect.
How to Body Brush                                                                                                                                
Try and aim to bodybrush twice a day, spending 2-5 minutes in each instance, bodybrushing once in the morning and before you go to bed. Start at your feet, brushing upwards in brisk circular motions.  Focus on any cellulite prone areas you might have, to encourage circulation and the lymphatic system brush towards the heart.                                                             

 As always, thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment