Friday 24 December 2010

Time for tea: Conscious Chocolate

Rating: 8/10, 40g Conscious Chocolate bars available from health stores all over for £2.88+

So, my lack of posting has been awful and in this instance can be blamed on being hauled up in London without a charger. But fear not!! While I was there, I encountered these cute chocolate bars that I've been considering for a while now.

When it comes to chocolate I either make my own or stick to dark chocolate. Raw chocolate is a rare treat because it's expensive and there's no way to know whether it will taste nice; raw chocolates range from delicious and smooth to cardboardey and dusty. With that in mind, we were a little apprehensive about commiting £9 to 120g of chocolate. But Em and I took the plunge and picked up two bars of plain chocolate and one bar of chilli hot chocolate.

Aside from the price the first thing that struck me about these bars was the packaging, not only is it 100% biodegradable and compostable, but they look cute and could easily be given as a gift without any of the awkwardness you might get if you were to hand over a bar of cadbury's. Conscious Chocolates are handmade, sugar free, dairy free, raw chocolates sourced from sustainable, fertilizer and pesticide free crops which are all fair trade. They offer a healthy alternative to normal chocolate and are suitable for people on sugar free or gluten free diets, raw foodies, vegans and some diabetics.

Because of the raw factor, Conscious Chocolate is high in antioxidants and is a great source of magnesium, calcium, copper, iron, sulfur, potassium and zinc. Which was enough to make Em giggle with glee, "so you mean to say that if I eat this, I'm actually doing something very good for my body?", "I guess" I replied,  but before I had finished my sentence one bar had mysteriously disappeared.

The disappearing bar was the plain chocolate bar, which we agreed had a really deep chocolatey smell. The chocolate was smooth textured with a mild taste of carob and coconut butter. If you aren't a fan of either of those two flavours, then this is not the bar for you. While mild, a whole bar tastes a lot of carob and coconut butter. It was also very sweet, so sweet that Em and I bought 2 cartons of coconut milk to make sure her blood sugar was stabilised afterwards. I'm sure that it would be fine in small portions, but if you are a type 2 diabetic you might want to think twice about this particular bar.

The chilli hot bar had a much milder smell and was grainier than the plain chocolate. The most notable thing about this bar was the lingering kick that was in no way apparent during the actual eating of the bar, which was surprising but not wholly unpleasant. Regardless, Em found my facial expression hilarious and wandered round calling me donkey for the rest of the day.

These raw chocolates are easily the nicest raw chocolates we have had, but there is room for improvement which is why we've awarded them 8/10.

Let us know what you think of raw chocolate in the comments!

Plain chocolate ingredients: Cacao solids, cacao butter, agave nectar, cacao powder (Ecuadorian), coconut butter, wild carob, cinnamon and Himalayan salt. 60% cocoa solids in the chocolate. Free from pesticides, dairy, soya and gluten.

Chilli hot chocolate ingredients; Cacao solids 60%  minimum, cacao butter, agave nectar, cacao powder (Ecuadorian), coconut butter, wild carob, cayenne chilli powder, cinnamon, himalayan salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment